Monday 13 October 2014

Wot no Kenya?

So keen geographers (those who, for example, know that it is some considerable distance between Kampala and Freetown, Sierra Leone) will notice the lack of posts from Kenya. Well now, there's a thing....

My old granny said "If you can't say anything nice about someone then don't say anything at all" but then she was a flatulent old baggage with wonky teeth and a penchant for Gin.

Anyway, after the waterfront idyll which was Musoma, Kenya was almost guaranteed to disappoint and I'm afraid it did.

I'd heard many bad reports but was anxious to see for myself and not to add to the canon but, like Thucydides describing the Peloponnesian War, I can only describe what I saw:

A lot of "You give me money" type begging which was in marked contrast to the other three countries.

Bad roads and by some considerable margin, the most dangerous driving I've seen.

The main Nairobi Road ending in a heap of putrid rubbish

Sadly, I can't recall a single actively positive experience beyond, perhaps, the hotel staff being quite pleasant and even then it lacked a warmth I'd received elsewhere. In contrast, I could list dozens from Rwanda, TZ and Uganda. 

But I was only there for 36 hours and may have just lucked out. I genuinely hope you'll go there, have a wonderful time and meet all the nice people I so improbably missed. I certainly agonised about posting as negative a portrayal as this but then, you know, Thucydides and all that.

Sorry for being serious - I promise the next post will have cute kittens and fart gags in it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.